Monthly Operations Summary FY2017 (Apr 2017)

Convenience Store Business in Japan



Lawson, Inc. (Non-consolidated)
All Stores Sales 103.3%
Existing Stores Sales 101.0%
Number of Customers 99.7%
Spending per Customer 101.3%

This chart shows the total sales of LAWSON, NATURAL LAWSON, and LAWSON STORE100 operated by Lawson, Inc. Sales of Lawson Sanin, Inc., Lawson Kochi, Inc., Lawson Minami-Kyushu, Inc., and Lawson Okinawa, Inc. are not included.



Lawson Group
Opening 89
Closure 30
Total Number of Stores 13169

*The number of stores in Lawson Group includes Lawson, Inc., Lawson Sanin, Inc., Lawson Kochi, Inc., Lawson Minami-Kyushu, Inc., and Lawson Okinawa, Inc.

▼ Detail Deta

▼ Business Report

The sales result of Lawson, Inc. is as follows. Total sales at all stores in April amounted to 176,216 million yen, a 3.3% up year on year. Existing-store sales increased 1.0% year on year over the same period. Average daily sales per store (all stores) totaled 534 thousand yen, while the average number of customers per store (existing stores) fell 0.3% to 825, and the average customer spend at existing stores rose 1.3% to 599 yen. The existing LAWSON stores’ sales in Japan*1 in April increased 1.1% year on year.
Below is a breakdown of the existing-store sales performance by individual merchandise categories.

Thanks to special promotion, sandwich category performed well in April.

Sales of noodle category increased drastically, thanks to favorable sales of pasta after its renewal.

Sales of delicatessen category performed extremely well mainly due to the expansion of new salad items.

Sales of dessert category increased drastically, thanks to favorable sales of new series of “UchiCaféSWEETS” and its special promotion.

As a result of successful outcome from our initiatives such as to expand product offering in this category, sales of daily delivered food and frozen food items rose considerably year on year.

Sales of ice cream category rose year on year in April, thanks to favorable sales of seasonal items continuously.

Sales of soft drinks rose year on year in April, mostly due to a promotion for Ponta members.

Cigarette sales increased due to favorable results of electronic cigarette and its related items, which accounted for 0.5 point or less increase year-on-year of existing-store sales growth in April.

The ticket sales including concerts, sporting events, etc., shaved 0.5 point or less off year on year of existing-store sales in April.

The Lawson Group operated 13,169 convenience stores in Japan at the end of April 2017, including 143 NATURAL LAWSON stores and 796 LAWSON STORE100 stores.

Regarding LAWSON STORE 100, existing-store sales fell 1.4% year on year in April (customer numbers: -2.8%; customer spend: +1.5%). In April, we did not open store and closed 1 store.

Lawson is promoting the “Rilakkuma Spring Campaign” until June 12, 2017 to help broaden its customer base.

Note 1: Lawson, Inc. sales include sales generated by LAWSON stores (excluding Lawson Okinawa, Inc., Lawson Minami-Kyusyu, Inc., Lawson Kochi, Inc., and Lawson Sanin, Inc.), NATURAL LAWSON stores, and LAWSON STORE100 stores. The LAWSON operation in Japan consists of sales generated by LAWSON, Inc. minus sales generated by LAWSON STORE100 stores.