Monthly Operations Summary FY2017 (Jul 2017)

Convenience Store Business in Japan



Lawson, Inc. (Non-consolidated)
All Stores Sales 103.8%
Existing Stores Sales 100.4%
Number of Customers 98.9%
Spending per Customer 101.5%

*”This chart shows the total sales of LAWSON, NATURAL LAWSON, and LAWSON STORE100 operated by Lawson, Inc. Sales of Lawson Sanin, Inc., Lawson Kochi, Inc., Lawson Minami-Kyushu, Inc., and Lawson Okinawa, Inc. are not included.



Lawson Group
Opening 144
Closure 35
Total Number of Stores 13373

*The number of stores in Lawson Group includes Lawson, Inc., Lawson Sanin, Inc., Lawson Kochi, Inc., Lawson Minami-Kyushu, Inc., and Lawson Okinawa, Inc.

▼ Detail Deta

▼ Business Report

The sales result of Lawson, Inc. in July is as follows. Total sales at all stores in July amounted to 198,760 million yen, a 3.8% up year on year. Existing-store sales increased 0.4% year on year over the same period. Average daily sales per store (all stores) totaled 562 thousand yen, while the average number of customers per store (existing stores) fell 1.1% to 872, and the average customer spend at existing stores rose 1.5% to 600 yen. The existing LAWSON stores’ sales in Japan*1 in July increased 0.5% year on year.

Below is a breakdown of the existing-store sales performance by individual merchandise categories.

Sales of noodle category increased drastically year on year, mainly due to favorable sales of pasta and cold noodles thanks to effective promotion.

Sales of delicatessen category performed well due to preferable sales of large selection of salad items.

Over-the-counter fast food sales exceeded year on year in July, thanks to successful sales promotion of “Deka-yakitori” (Mega grilled chicken), largest ever at Lawson, and renewed “L Chiki” (fried chicken 40% bigger than former L Chiki).

As a result of successful outcome from our initiatives such as to expand product offering in this category, sales of daily delivered food and frozen food items rose considerably year on year.

Sales of ice cream category rose extremely year on year in July, mainly due to favorable sales of seasonal items as well as new items.

Sales of soft drinks rose year on year in July, mostly due to a promotion for Ponta members.

Electronic cigarette and its related items had favorable results and cigarette sales in July remained almost the same level year on year.

The ticket sales including concerts, sporting events, etc. had almost no impact for existing-store sales growth in July.

The Lawson Group operated 13,373 convenience stores in Japan at the end of July 2017, including 144 NATURAL LAWSON stores and 792 LAWSON STORE100 stores.

Regarding LAWSON STORE 100, existing-store sales fell 1.2% year on year in July (customer numbers:
-2.2%; customer spend: +1.0%). In July, we opened 1 store and closed 2 stores

Lawson is promoting the “Snoopy Summer Campaign” until September 18, 2017 to help broaden its customer base.

Note 1: Lawson, Inc. sales include sales generated by LAWSON stores (excluding Lawson Okinawa, Inc., Lawson Minami-Kyusyu, Inc., Lawson Kochi, Inc., and Lawson Sanin, Inc.), NATURAL LAWSON stores, and LAWSON STORE100 stores. The LAWSON operation in Japan consists of sales generated by LAWSON, Inc. minus sales generated by LAWSON STORE100 stores.