Monthly Operations Summary FY2017 (Sep 2017)

Convenience Store Business in Japan



Lawson, Inc. (Non-consolidated)
All Stores Sales 105.2%
Existing Stores Sales 102.1%
Number of Customers 99.5%
Spending per Customer 102.6%

*This chart shows the total sales of LAWSON, NATURAL LAWSON, and LAWSON STORE100 operated by Lawson, Inc. Sales of Lawson Sanin, Inc., Lawson Kochi, Inc., Lawson Minami-Kyushu, Inc., and Lawson Okinawa, Inc. are not included.



Lawson Group
Opening 75
Closure 33
Total Number of Stores 13492

*The number of stores in Lawson Group includes Lawson, Inc., Lawson Sanin, Inc., Lawson Kochi, Inc., Lawson Minami-Kyushu, Inc., and Lawson Okinawa, Inc.

▼ Detail Deta

▼ Business Report

The sales result of Lawson, Inc. in September is as follows. Total sales at all stores in September amounted to 187,826 million yen, a 5.2% up year on year. Existing-store sales increased 2.1% year on year over the same period. Average daily sales per store (all stores) totaled 543 thousand yen, while the average number of customers per store (existing stores) fell 0.5% to 832, and the average customer spend at existing stores rose 2.6% to 608 yen. The existing LAWSON stores’ sales in Japan*1 in September increased 2.4% year on year.

Below is a breakdown of the existing-store sales performance by individual merchandise categories.

Sales of noodle category increased drastically year on year, mainly due to favorable sales of pasta noodles thanks to its fresh pasta renewal.

Delicatessen category performed extremely well due to preferable sales of expanded selection of salad items.

Sales of dessert category increased dramatically due to favorable sales of the 3rd collaboration products with GODIVA, “Uchi Café SWEETS×GODIVA chocolat tart” and “Uchi Café SWEETS×GODIVA gateau chocolat”.

Over-the-counter fast food sales exceeded year on year in September, thanks to successful sales promotion of “Chinese steamed buns” and “L Chiki”.

As a result of successful outcome from our initiatives such as to expand product offering in this category, sales of daily delivered food and frozen food items increased year on year.

Cigarette sales increased due to favorable results of electronic cigarette and its related items, which accounted for less than 0.5% increase year on year of existing-store sales growth in September.

The ticket sales including concerts, sporting events, etc., accounted for approximately 2.0 point increase year on year of existing-store sales in September.

The Lawson Group operated 13,492 convenience stores in Japan at the end of September 2017, including 144 NATURAL LAWSON stores and 793 LAWSON STORE100 stores.

Regarding LAWSON STORE 100, existing-store sales fell 1.8% year on year in September (customer numbers:
-2.6%; customer spend: +0.7%). In September, we did not open store and closed 2 stores.

Lawson is promoting the “Rilakkuma Autumn Campaign” until December 11, 2017 to help broaden its customer base.

Lawson plans to announce its earnings results for 2Q of FY2017 on Wednesday, October 11, 2017. Summary of financial results and supplementary information will be posted on this website.

Note 1: Lawson, Inc. sales include sales generated by LAWSON stores (excluding Lawson Okinawa, Inc., Lawson Minami-Kyusyu, Inc., Lawson Kochi, Inc., and Lawson Sanin, Inc.), NATURAL LAWSON stores, and LAWSON STORE100 stores. The LAWSON operation in Japan consists of sales generated by LAWSON, Inc. minus sales generated by LAWSON STORE100 stores.